The Pilot, Mumbles

Great Beer in a Cosy Traditional Pub

station buildings train lighthouse newpilotsign

Taken from Mumbles and Gower Pubs by Brian E. Davies ISBN-10: 0752437798, ISBN-13: 978-0752437798, published by The History Press                                           .

Copyright Brian E. Davies.  Reproduced with kind permission.

Follow the link and buy the book, great information and the photographs are fascinating.

 

The Pilot was first licensed in 1849, when Samuel Ace, mariner and pilot, opened the inn. He'd previously kept the Talbot Arms in Clements Row. In 1862, an inquest was held for James Smith, who had died near the Pilot Inn. The jury returned a verdict of 'Died by Visitation of God'. In the 1870's and '80's Captain Henry Mills, a Scotsman and former shipmaster at the Port of Swansea, was landlord. At this time, the Pilot was a popular haunt for mariners, fishermen and oyster dredgers. The inn's close proximity to the shore made it an ideal spot from which to view the Mumbles Regattas, at which vast crowds gathered.

The Pilot of Mumbles - History

Copyright, all rights reserved 2012                                  

Buy Brians Book!

The Pilot survived the licence objections of 1904, despite a number of convictions, and served bread and cheese and oysters to its many Sunday visitors. In 1914, licensee John Paine volunteered to fight in the First World War and was accepted at sixty-four years of age! He was an ex-policeman who previously kept the Plough and Harrow in Murton.

The Pilot was much used by yachtsmen and Mumbles Yacht Club was formed there in 1938. The exterior hasn't changed much, but the old public bar, snug and kitchen were merged into one large saloon bar in 1967. Despite many changes and the passage of time, the Pilot has always retained its maritime connections.

 

Pilot1 charabanc crowd